Monday, October 22, 2012

The Joys Of Being A New Mom

I'm obviously a new mother so I definitely do NOT know everything but I do know that motherhood is a lot harder than I thought. Don't get me wrong, being a mother is the most rewarding and wonderful experience but it has it's challenges.

Before Nathan was born, I had my sister and other people tell me things that they went through after their child was born and I just thought well they just need to suck it up! Boy, does the Lord have a sense of humor! Little did I know how challenging it really is to be a new mom.

Here are a few things that I am/have gone through in the past 3 months that I didn't think would happen to me:

1. Stretch Marks - Let's be honest, they are not the prettiest thing ever nor the prettiest thing to talk about. I thought surely I won't get stretch marks during my pregnancy but sure enough in the last month those darn things started to appear. Then I thought well once Nathan is born they will go away. Um...NO! They still stare me in the face everyday.

2. Loss of Hair - This is something that I had heard every woman go through after their baby is born. I was asked about a month after Nathan was born if my hair started to fall out and I said no because it hadn't. Well not long after that I started to notice that in the shower or when I would fix my hair that I would lose a lot of hair! Now anytime I run my fingers through my hair, I pull out like a hair ball! Gross, I know.

3. Laziness - Before Nathan was born, I thought that I would be super mom and have the house clean every day and supper cooked by the time Alex got home from work. Boy was I ignorant. When Nathan goes down for a nap, all I want to do is sit on my booty and watch tv. Most days the laundry is overflowing, the dishes are piled up in the sink and the living room has toys sprawled all over the floor. Some days I don't get my shower till late afternoon. I feel overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done while taking care of Nathan at the same time. I feel inadequate most days.

But in the end, I am so thankful for a wonderful husband who supports me, loves me, encourages me and helps me around the house even after having a long day at work. He tells me I'm beautiful every day and pampers me like a queen. I also have been blessed with an easygoing, loving baby who I would do anything for. Nathan is worth every stretch mark, every hair I lose and is way more important than having a spotless house.

As for being lazy, God has really convicted me about this issue. Although I do not have a paying job, my job is to take care of Nathan and to take care of the house. I love being a stay at home mom. I am called to worship God in everything I do especially how I take care of Nathan and the house. Doing the dishes, doing the laundry, cleaning the toilets, playing with Nathan are all worship to God. It gives me a new motivation to get things done because I know I am worshiping God through my housework.

Thanks for allowing me to rant about what's been going on in the life of Kim Beasley! Don't mean to scare any new moms-to-be (Abby!). Being a mom really is the best thing ever. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I mean, how can you resist this cute little face???



1 comment:

  1. Love love love the honesty! Let's be real stretch marks are inevitable unless you are a freak of nature! and bio oil helps the appearance(it lightens them while moisturizing!) And seeing that adorable little face makes it ALL worth it!

    ReplyDelete